Skip to main content

Groceries... Easy now! UPDATED!

TIME TO GET GROCERIES!

*Updated information in Schwans

They are only allowed to accept LINK/SNAP/EBT for up too $150 per delivery. That is fine with me, they deliver every 2 weeks, but this time my order included some Christmas items and totalled $157. So I have to pay the difference in cash.

If you are anything like me, I buy the bulk of my groceries at one time. Always have. Maybe because I was a single mother with two young daughters that were too little to help? Maybe because I thought I was supermom. I used to loop several bags over each arm, and carry them all in at once. We are talking $200-$300 worth at a time. My arms would be bruised and sore afterwards. 

It usually looks something like this.... 
Okay, maybe that is an exaggeration.


Now, with COPD, it is really foolish for me to try that. I drive through the yard, back the trunk right up to the porch and take about 4 bags in at a time. I line them up neatly on the staircase… I still have to go up the stairs with them. That is rough on me.

Once I get everything inside, I ask my 5 year old to carry the really light bags, the one with bread and the one with eggs, and a few others. Then, I move bags up the stairs, step by step, slowly. Most of my frozen goods are pretty much thawed out by the time I get this all up the stairs. I have to take MANY breaks to catch my breath. 






This is such a hassle since my adult kids moved out. So, I needed to find a solution to this HUGE problem. I looked online and of course none of my local grocers offer delivery. However, there are several services that DO offer delivery. Just not in my area. Plus, I need one that takes LINK/SNAP. So now what? Keep looking!



I found a solution to part of the problem. Schwan's!



Schwan's offers perfectly portion-able frozen veggies in big bags. Like Super sweet corn? Get 2 pounds 8 ounces for $5.29 (current price as of post date in my area). Each kernel is individually frozen so portioning it out is super easy! They have a great variety of frozen items to choose from and at what I would consider either a GREAT price, or a fair price.

They deliver to your door, AND they accept your LINK/SNAP card! These veggies are included in most of our meals, and because of the way they are frozen they are easy to add to soups, casseroles, or just for a side dish. The service is wonderful! My delivery guy, Jeff, is fantastic! He will call or text me and let me know when he will be here so I know exactly, and don’t have to wait around all day. If only they delivered gallons of milk!

There are many other places that deliver groceries, but, since they are not available in my area, I am not sure of all the details for each. Below, is a list of the ones I am aware of and they are clickable. I have also listed all acceptable payment methods for each as well.

SCHWAN'S

For your convenience, we accept Schwan’s™ Gift Card, Schwan'sPay™, Visa, MasterCard, Discover/Novis, American Express, cash, checks and electronic food stamp cards (EBT). If you select freezer bag drop off or mail order shipment you must input your credit card when you submit your order online or provide it to customer service for phone orders. Your credit card will not be charged until either your order has been shipped. When paying by check, please make checks payable to Schwan's Home Service. In doing so, you expressly authorize us, if your check is returned for any reason, to electronically debit your account for the amount of the check plus a processing fee not to exceed the state maximum legal limit. The use of a check for payment is your acknowledgement of this policy and its terms.

Delivery Fee: Schwan's Home Service charges a $1.75 delivery fee.

Peapod 

While they are able to take most forms of payment, per a statement by the company, "I'm sorry, regrettably due to the numerous gov't restrictions w/this program, we're unable to accept as payment online."

Delivery Fee ($60 minimum order) Orders over $100: $6.95
Between $75 & $100: $7.95
Less than $75: $9.95
There is also a delivery fuel surcharge when the price of gas is over $3.00 a gallon.
Pick-up Fee ($60 minimum order): $2.95

Vons & Safeway

Vons offers its customers with disabilities an equal opportunity to use Vons' services. If you are a person with a disability who uses EBT benefits and needs to use Vons' home grocery delivery service because of disability, please call 1-877-505-4040 or email us at: deliverysupport@safeway.com

Delivery Fees:
Regular home delivery rates in most areas are $9.95 on purchases of $150 or more (excluding applicable tax, delivery fee, fuel surcharge, bottle deposits and bag fees where applicable) and $12.95 on purchases under $150 (excluding applicable tax, delivery fee, fuel surcharge, bottle deposits and bag fees where applicable). A fuel surcharge may apply. The surcharge will be listed on your final receipt and is equal to 10¢ for every 10¢ increase gas prices above $2.75 per gallon. If you qualify for Free Delivery, there is no fuel surcharge. Bag fees where applicable may also apply. Business delivery fees are described below. There are also ways to get FREE or discounted delivery. Please refer to the "How do I get free or discounted delivery?" question for ways to save.

Netgrocer

Netgrocer accepts MasterCard, Visa, American Express, PayPal, and the Discover Card. We now use PayPal for payment proccessing (you do not need a PayPal account to complete your orders, they just handle the payment process, feel free to use your credit/debit cards!) We cannot accept C.O.D.s.

Delivery Fees: Please click here to see their delivery fees.

FreshDirect

FreshDirect accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit cards as well as debit cards bearing the MasterCard or Visa logo. You can also pay for your orders directly from your checking account. FreshDirect is also proud to join state and federal agencies in testing a pilot program that will deliver fresh food and groceries to select Bronx ZIP codes for customers using Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards. Click here for more information.

Delivery fees: Click here for delivery fees.

WeGoShop


This one is harder to extract the information from. Each area may be independently owned and operated, therefore have different fee schedules. Please click the WeGoShop name and look up your area. They are also looking for people to deliver!  



If services like these are not available, you may want to consider getting a bag grip... 
It makes carrying many bags at once EASY! If you remember to use it ;)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COPD Unaware

COPD Unaware A guest post by Duke Reeves  Despite the advances in medicine and technology, COPD rates and the financial burden of COPD continue to rise. While part of the rising rates can be attributed to a growing population, the bottom line is that the majority of COPD cases are preventable through awareness and education.  The most common symptoms and signs of COPD are shortness of breath, chest tightness, coughing up mucus, and a chronic cough. Looking at these symptoms, it’s easy to see how we can brush them off and assume they are from a common cold or old age. However, by brushing these symptoms off we are setting ourselves up for a potentially rude awakening. COPD is a progressive disease which means the longer it goes untreated the more damage it’s going to cause. The best way to ensure you live a full life with COPD is by catching the disease as early as possible. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) predicted COPD would become the 3 rd leading cause of death in

COPD at 40

COPD AT 40 Hi everyone, let me start by introducing myself. My name is Justine Peach. I am a 40 year old woman with a beautiful 16 year old daughter and I live in Melbourne Australia. I used to have a wonderful job that I loved doing. I worked as a nursery hand in a wholesale plant nursery. I moved between two different areas every six months. For the first six months I would be doing all areas of the work place. I would transplant baby plants into trays on a conveyor belt or moving trays of plants to their designated area to grow. Once ready we would be moving the trays from the ground to a trailer attached to a buggy and put them down ready to pick orders. Staking tomato plants, or watering the entire stock. Sweltering on hot days in greenhouses. There were many different areas and depending on staff and stock as to what our job for the day would be. The other six months I would spend at the main nursery department as a dispatch worker. Getting plants ready to load on t

Am I Unworthy Of Love Because I Have COPD?