Skip to main content

COPD Support Groups.

SUPPORT GROUPS



When I was first diagnosed I didn't know much about COPD. 


I knew it had to do with not breathing well. It was, in my opinion, a senior aged smoker thing. How could someone my age, some HEALTHY and ACTIVE, who only smoked a half a pack a day or less, HOW could I get this??? I was in my 30's! Thinking back, I had it in my twenties, and just didn't think anything of it. It was an occasional breathlessness.


As a kid, I was never an athletic girl. Always the last one picked in gym class. I didn't like playing in any sports, or anything physical. But, I did love walking for hours at the forest preserve, and was always there when the weather was good! HOURS, not minutes, of walking the trails. I would say hiking, but not quite.


So, I had COPD. Stage 3 at that point. But, what does it all mean? The woman who first diagnosed me accurately, told me something scary. 


"Getting sick just one time, might be your last." 


She was wonderful, honest, and so caring. I took her words to heart.


I joined support groups on Facebook. And,  learned as much as I could about my newly diagnosed disease by googling reputable sites. There is so much to learn! So many different experiences. So much misinformation.


I will not post specific online groups, they are out there. You just have to find them, join them, and decided which ones you want to take part in.



Today, I present to you some helpful links to help you learn more about COPD. These are traditional sites on Facebook, and included are a few transplant and alternative treatment sites. ALL of these have wonderful, caring people to talk with. They will guide you and encourage you every step of the way.



My personal group is here: HOPE for COPD on Facebook. Small, but growing, with some very experienced members.  


The groups that helped me the most! I thank you all so very much!


THE COFFEE TABLE

https://www.facebook.com/groups/161980837227267/


COPD Alternative's NZ


COPD Navigator


ORGAN Transplant Initiative (OTI)


Lung Transplantation: Taking Flight with New Life Support Group


The Transplant Community Outreach


Michael's Second Wind Transplant Journey




Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Unworthy Of Love Because I Have COPD?

The Week My Heart Broke

Another Update!

So, things are kinda crazy in my life right now. Most of you know about the move, I still haven't made... Too many loose ends to tie up before I can do that. Had a friend that needed a place to stay, she stole from me, and has tried to cause trouble for me. Oh well... Won't be helping her again. This old house is FULL of stuff from my parents and I have to find a way to get rid of all of the things left here, get the yard in order, and all presentable. Thing is I have zero help. So, I have to hire help to take care of everything. Good help is hard to find. 


Also, some of you might remember my trip from hell last summer... Well, I am going again. Call me crazy, I know. Haha. Just can't let my father go alone. Hoping to get over this massive chest cold before we leave on Friday. Remember, if you have COPD, you want to take an expectorant, NOT a suppressant. An expectorant will help thin the mucus in your lungs and you will be better able to cough it out. A suppressant, stops …